June 9th, 2008
YUM! I am exited to share this recipe with you. I really loved cooking and especially loved eating this soup. It warmed my insides and had a wholesome texture that brought back memories of visiting my Grandma. The unique flavor of leek, heartiness of cabbage, and healthy carrots I feel make this soup a quick and easy meal that you can make and enjoy for the whole week — or feed a large family or group of friends. It’s a light soup but it still filled me up. Rachel said that it needed some potatoes, so next time I think I’ll add those. Here’s what I did:
- Olive Oil
- 3 long celery stocks diced
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1 large white or yellow onion chopped
- 1 large leek chopped (white portion)
- 1 whole green cabbage
- (Rachel suggest 2 or 3 medium potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Sea Salt and Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder for a kick
- 64 oz chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegetarian/vegan
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium
- Add all the vegetables and heat them up until they begin to get soft (about 5 to 10 minutes)
- Add the broth
- Cover the rest of the vegetables (as needed) with water
- Bring the pot to a slow boil and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve the soup in a big bowl with some fresh Italian bread and garnish with some parsley.
I hope you enjoy it!