December 20th, 2009
The peppermint latte is the love of my life. On cold winter days it reminds me of being a kid and sucking on a candy cane. It reminds me of sitting next to a fire with wood stacked ceiling-high, crackling and popping and warming up on the inside and out. I love me a peppermint latte. The cold weather we have been having lately have really brought the craving out in me but I have to admit something. Last year around Christmas I started making and buying peppermint lattes as the drink of choice whenever I would splurge. Usually I get coffee — black. Well, when Christmas and the festivities were over I didn’t stop ordering peppermint lattes. I just kept getting them. Now here we are — a year later and I am still making and ordering them. Since I had a few minutes I thought I would share how to make the delicious-ness that is: A peppermint Latte. (I didn’t take any new photos, so you’ll have to excuse the re-use — but at least I am finally updating my blog with something!)
Ingredients for a 12-oz Peppermint Latte:
- 8-oz non-fat milk (it foams better!)
- 1 tablespoon Peppermint Flavored syrup
- 2 one-oz shots of espresso
- A candy cane, crushed, and whole.
- Add 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup to make a peppermint mocha
- Prepare your Espresso Machine for steam and espresso
- Steam your milk until it is just over 170 degrees or until it is too hot to touch the side of your steamer cup
- Brew the espresso
- Add the peppermint (and optional chocolate) to an empty 12-oz mug
- Add the espresso and stir well
- Pour about 3/4 to 4/5 of the mug full of the steamed milk leaving room for the foam
- Top the drink off with the foam from the steamed milk
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top
- Serve with the whole candy cane and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy it!