June 24th, 2008
“These are the best cupcakes I’ve ever had!” Those were the words of my beautiful wife after devouring one of these cupcakes I just whipped up. That says a lot. I really value her opinion when I cook but I have to say these little delights are SO GOOD!
I started with Amy’s Strawberry cupcake recipe, modified it a little, then topped it off with a fluffy chocolate frosting recipe from recipe zaar. I ran to the store, but forgot to grab the yogurt so I used some homemade applesauce I made a few days ago. I also snuck in some whole-wheat flour once again with nothing but perfection as a result. Here’s what I did:
Ingredients for Cupcake:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 6 ounces Homemade Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (Remember I use King Arthur brand and have had trouble with other whole-wheat flours in my bread making)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- About 20 medium sized Stahlbush Island Farm’s Frozen Strawberries (thawed slightly) (Rachel brought them from work) cut into quarters. I used large pieces of strawberries for the texture I desired. I wanted big juicy pieces of strawberry in each cupcake.
Ingredients for Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions for Cupcake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Beat sugar and butter together until fluffy
- Add your egg and applesauce and mix thoroughly
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl then add to your wet ingredients
- Fold in strawberries
- Place in lined cupcake baking tins (I made about 14, Amy says divide into 20)
- Bake for 20 minutes or so, until toothpick comes out clean
Directions for Fluffy Chocolate Frosting:
- Mix cocoa and boiling water thoroughly until a thick paste results
- Beat in the butter until well combined
- Mix in the sugar and vanilla
- Blend until creamy and fluffy
- Chill for at least 15 minutes before using as it starts out really runny!
Put it all together by spreading the frosting on each cupcake and topping with a half strawberry.
I hope you enjoy them!