June 23rd, 2008
Elise and Garrett posted a recipe for making Orange Poppy Seed Cookies and I thought they sounded good and was about to make them when I read the end of the post. Garrett mentioned that a “novel option” was to switch out the poppy seeds for some ground coriander and replace the orange with lemon. I did just that! The result was a happy mouth. They weren’t as “savory” as I thought they might be, but they were good nonetheless.
I doubled his suggested coriander, but I think that caused too much of a salty flavor. Next time I think I’ll just use 1 teaspoon as he suggests. I love using lemon zest in recipes so naturally the strong lemon flavor was a selling point for me. I got the wife’s approval on these too — we ate almost half of them right after they baked!!!! Here’s what I did:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Beat the sugar and butter until fluffy
- Add the egg and lemon zest
- Mix in the flour, coriander, salt and baking soda just until combined
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12 minutes (or just until it starts to turn golden around the bottom/edge.
I hope you enjoy them!